Mumbai based psychiatrists and psychologists are worried that they are witnessing a rise in depression cases, especially among the young, in Mumbai.
The worst part is that the age group of the patients, that the experts are talking about, ranges from six to 25. Here are some incidents/findings that will startle you.
- In Mumbai, three people commit suicide in one day
- In Mumbai, every three seconds a person attempts to die.
- Some of the depressed patients are as young as six years old, and some of these younger kids have also attempted suicide.
- Once a nine-year-old-boy consumed 300 tablets.
Now that’s really chilling!
Here are the top reasons for depression among students and the young in Mumbai.
- Latch-key syndrome: Most families are nuclear with a single child and working parents. The child comes back from school to an empty house.
- High peer competition: These days even a 90% holder is expected to do better. And when the teen is unable to face this insane competition, he/she gets into depression.
- Pushy parents: Parents have become very demanding and when the child cannot cope with the pressure, he/she goes into depression.
- High divorce rates: When parents don’t get along, it affects the child. If there is disturbance at home, it harms the child’s / adolescent’s emotional well-being.
- Relationship problems: Youngsters are unable to sustain relationships these days and this causes a big dent in their self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Extreme loneliness: With extremely demanding and busy hectic lives, youth today are desperately lonely, despite the hundreds of friends on their social networking sites. Most do not have any support system or buffer in their lives to fall back upon.
- The newer generation is not resilient, and not good with coping, like the earlier generation.
- Most do not live in joint families, there is no social support available to them. So, any problem potentially becomes a cause for suicide.
- Ignorance: people don’t know the difference between sadness and depression. They think that one can divert attention, or play some game and the depression will fade away. Most avoid taking treatment because of ‘what will others think’. Family and friends fail to understand that a suicide attempt is a cry for help.
- The two main reasons for depression in our city are love breakups and examination pressure.
- Intake of Alcohol and other substances among the youth makes depression worse.
Depression can be prevented by early recognition and treatment. Here are some more suggestions on how to prevent depression.
- Parents should be sensitive to changes in their children’s behaviour, moods and academic performance.
- Social withdrawal is a key sign that the student is experiencing depression. Sometimes students become aggressive and rude, rather than quiet and withdrawn, when they are depressed.
- Parents should keep all channels of communication open with depressed children and should consult a counsellor or psychiatrist before it is too late.
- The good thing is that students and parents are now more aware about depression and are ready to seek help in treating depression.
Originally posted 2016-08-12 13:03:05.